Your Autumn Bucket List: Derbyshire

by - 18:00




Autumn is officially in full swing, and I absolutely love the change in season. That morning chill is getting colder by the day, and if you wake up early enough, there's a thin layer of mist that dances on top of the water by the boat. It's all quite so magical and still. It's my absolute favourite time of year, so today I thought I'd share some of my favourite things to do in Derbyshire in Autumn. A bucket list, if you will...


Get your walking boots on

I consider myself unbelievably lucky to live in Derbyshire. It's probably the nostalgia, but to me there's no countryside like it. One of my favourite ways to spend a Sunday is to pull on my cosiest jumper and head into the great outdoors. There’s nothing more creatively inspiring than the changing colours of the new season – those burnt oranges, deep greens and bright gold yellows are slowly but surely making an appearance.




There are some fantastic walks all over Derbyshire, but some of my favourite include:

• Shining Cliff woods - There's also a random gin distillery in the middle of the woods! They do takeaway coffee if you need to warm your bones.
• National Trust Calke Abbey - Make a point of buying a ticket for the gardens to see their pumpkin patch and selection of squash. If you don't want to buy a ticket, then you still get access to the vast parkland where you can spot deer in the deer park and walk down to the reservoir.
• Staunton Harold - An absolute MUST in Autumn, for the beautiful colours of the trees. We like to take the dog for a walk around the grounds, then pop into the garden centre for a cup of tea. There's a lovely little artisan bakery too - their olive bread is a must.



Taste the Seasons

Speaking of food... Autumn is such a great season for local grown produce. Think turnips, parsnips, figs and squash, and making delicious dishes that warm your bones after being out in the cold. There's nothing more satisfying to me than chopping up all of the glorious veggies to pop in your slow cooker at the start of the day, and getting home from a long walk to smell the dinner bubbling away.

Get yourself well-acquianted with a local farm shop so that you know you're always buying fresh and supporting local business. There are some fantastic award-winning farm shops in Derbyshire, my favourites include Betty's Farm Shop, Tori & Ben's and Croots.



If you're not quite the whizz in the kitchen, then book yourself a reservation at The Boot Inn, in Repton. Their menu is always changing to match the seasons, and I promise you the food is second to none. If you're going all-out, their a la carte menu offers some incredibly delicious dishes. Their bar menu is also great if you're just dropping by for a quick dinner - I recommend their salmon and prawn risotto! If you're just looking for an afternoon snack, you must try their 'Boot Mezze' sharing board, consisting of artisan pork pies, homemade warm scotch egg, sea salted fries, delicious cheeses, and the softest sourdough with whipped butter. The perfect accompaniment to their Chilean Sauvignon Blanc, or a nice glass of Pinot Noir...


Stock up on Autumn Homeware

We all know this girl loves a Homesense candle or five... so when the new Homesense store opened in Derby, you can bet I was there on opening night with a trolley full of pumpkin spice and apple cider scents. I really love to make little interior changes each season - even if it's just simple things like candles, cushions and a seasonal bouquet. Some of my favourite independent Derbyshire boutiques that deserve a mention for their impeccable homeware: Zing at Mercia Marina is always worth a visit (make a special trip here at Christmas time!), and also Design 44 for Scandi vibes and to support local craftmakers. My pal Carina at Fawn Creative has a stall here if you're looking for stunning prints and stationery as well as the most incredible macrame wall hangings and plant holders.


Whatever your plans are for this Autumn, I urge you to step outside and make the most of the season. It's one where - in my opinion - nature is at its most beautiful. So pull on your wellies, kick up some leaves, and remember to tag me on Instagram in your Autumn snaps with #AutumnOnAShoestring and @oliviakatewainwright

You May Also Like

0 comments