2016 In Review

18:00

For many, 2016 was the year of Brexit, Trump and celebrity deaths, which left us wishing our lives away in anticipation of 2017. For me, it was the year I got to marry the love of my life, embark on my dream holiday, and taste the flavours of some of my absolute favourite restaurants in Derbyshire – so I probably can’t complain!



My favourite thing about the start of a new year is reflecting on the one that just passed. It’s not until you look back through your Instagram feed that you realise how many amazing things you got to do and experience, so I thought I’d round them up here and give 2016 the send-off it deserves!

Fashion
Fashion is my first love. Way back when I started blogging, The Fashion Diaries was quite literally a diary of what I wore from day-to-day. I’d round up the high end trends and talk about high street alternatives – that’s still a huge part of me, and I love picking up key pieces from my favourite shops. It’s something I want to revive with my blogging – and now I don’t have to save for a wedding, I will definitely be treating myself a lot more…

Some of my favourite things to wear in 2016 included a Carrie Bradshaw-esque polkadot dress from Zara, some incredible Topshop boyfriend jeans I picked up in the summer sale, and a swooshy rose gold midi skirt from New Look, which was perfect for the festive season.  

Food
I absolutely love the fact that Derbyshire has so many foodie gems, and I spent a lot of 2016 discovering places I’d never experienced before. I keep a list of everywhere I want to visit in my diary, and aim to tick off at least a couple per month. From top to bottom, left to right, here are my favourites: Cocktails at the Hockley Arts Club, Nottingham. Seabass at The Boardwalk, Willington. Afternoon Tea at the Cathedral Quarter Hotel, Derby. Breaded chicken and jalapeno poppers at the Joiners Arms, Quarndon. ALL of the delicious brunch dishes at The Cosy Club, Derby. A messy mezze at The Bulls Head, Repton. Tapas at the Carnero Lounge, Derby. The most incredible gammon crumble at The Boot, Repton. Indian-style fish and chips from The English Indian, Lichfield.

Life
Rob and I are still loving life on our floating home on the Trent and Mersey Canal. Getting to wake up to the most incredible views every day is something I will never take for granted. Even on a cold and frosty morning, the fog dances on top of the water and everything looks so eerie and wonderful. Our interior is always getting updated – we’re having a bedroom change and possibly new worktops for the kitchen, but 2016 we really got to make it our own.

The first half of the year consisted of a LOT of wedding planning. I wanted to make sure that a majority of my ‘to do’ list was ticked off before my hen party in October – my girls had planned a lovely weekend away in Manchester and they really treated me like a princess for a few days. It was an incredible way to ‘kiss the Miss goodbye!’ as they said. November – well… that was quite a whirlwind. On November 12th, Rob and I finally got to say I do in a gorgeous ceremony at Donington Park Farmhouse Hotel. Sid was our guest of honour, and we had the most incredible day before jetting off to the Maldives for 10 days; the ultimate way to relax after a busy year!

What’s next?


So, what are my goals for 2017? Things are going to change a little bit around here. You may have noticed the name change in this blog and that’s simply because I want to open up more doors, content-wise. As I mentioned, my early days of blogging included lots of fashion and beauty, and that’s something I want to bring back to sit alongside the lifestyle and foodie posts. I have lots of things planned for this little space on the web, so please stick around and let’s see where 2017 takes us! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Top Trend: Pink

Pinterest

Subscribe