Belgo, Nottingham

14:08

We had friends over to stay this weekend, and as they’re not from the area, Rob and I had crafted a full day of adventures and places we were desperate to take them to.
One of our favourite bars is the Canal House in Nottingham. It’s got a huuuge craft ale selection and there’s a narrowboat literally inside the place, so it’s right up our street. The first time we went, Rob kept talking about how much his friend Stu would love it, so naturally, we had to take him there.
The first stop though, was lunch.


I’d had this little place on my radar since its recent opening and since its speciality is Belgian beer and moules, I knew the boys would love it.
Belgo is a Belgian restaurant nestled in the Lace Market on Weekday Cross. Unbeknownst to me, it’s actually a chain and there’s also a number of restaurants in London’s Covent Garden area, along with Intu Bromley.  


The industrial décor, quirky artwork and feature lighting had me at ‘hello’. Then when I saw the way Rob’s face lit up at the drinks menu, I knew we were at the right place.
The boys opted for Blanche de Bruxelles – a ‘wit bier’, Claire chose a Fruli – a strawberry beer, and I had a fresh grapefruit juice.
After pondering the food menu, we simply couldn’t settle on one dish each and decided to just order a number of dishes and share between the four of us. My favourite way to eat.
We had two steamy pots of moules in the form of Moules mariniere...
And Moules with smoked chorizo and sprinkles of chopped parsley. Both were deliciously creamy, with plump and meaty mussels.
To shake things up, we also ordered the blue cheese moules platter with sautéed leeks (my favourite)
The flavours were just incredible. I could eat this dish over and over again!
We also fanciedthe meaty sharing plank. Pate, cured meats, speck ham, coleslaw, giant dill pickles and croutons.
All served with tripe cooked chips, side-salad, and bread for dunking,

I must say, the food was absolutely incredible. The moules platter is something I could eat again and again, and used every last piece of bread I could to mop up the blue cheese sauce. The moules themselves were the best I’ve ever had – I’m always apprehensive about ordering in a restaurant incase they’re gritty, but these were lovely meaty little things, and cooked to perfection.
Top tip: order lots of bread. You’ll want to savour every last bit of those juices, particularly the cream from the mariniere.
This is definitely a place I would recommend; even if it’s just to enjoy the beer selection (they serve a range of cocktails too!) so book yourselves a table when the sun is shining and sit in their outdoor seating area; perfect for people-spotting and watching the world go by.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Top Trend: Pink

Pinterest

Subscribe